Reasons that made the Upside Down Suspensions better:
- By fixing the Slider which is comparatively heavier at the top to the body of the bike makes the Handling considerably better making the bike more balanced and planted.
- By putting the lighter weight component at the bottom it helps reducing the unsprung weight suspended to the bike.
- The heavier Slider with bigger diameter attached to the body adds strength to the over all front portion of the bike.
As every good thing comes with some or the other drawbacks making the USDs no other exception.
Drawbacks of the Upside Down Suspensions:
- The cost of the USDs are comparatively higher as serious modifications are required to fit the system, to name one of those is the Yoke, the entire Yoke assemble needs to be designed in such a way to fit Slider of extra large diameter.
- Putting up the Damping unit inverted has a serious hazard in case of leak of the Oil seal. If the Oil seal gets leaked, due to the gravity the oil will spill over quickly and more dangerously there is a chance of spilling it directly over the Disc brake assembly making it vulnerable to the undue catastrophe.
But regular maintenance of the bike can easily prevent any such chances and moreover the advantage of the technological advancement in the form of the Upside Down Suspensions are more then its drawbacks. So folks enjoy riding your bikes to their limits relishing the advantage of the modern age Technology of Upside Down Suspensions which is made available to the masses by the companies like KTMs is our country.
Ride safe and Ride hard and please do share your comments on this.
By: Farhan Kashif